Assisted Oocyte Activation is a laboratory procedure done along with ICSI/IMSI to prevent failure of oocyte fertilization in the couple.
In 5-10% of patients undergoing IVF, there exists a deficiency of a protein (PlCzeta) which prevents ‘Calcium Waves’ to form inside the Oocyte that helps in Fertilization(fusion) of sperm and egg.. A lack of ‘Calcium waves’ in the Oocyte causes ‘Failed Fertilization’ or ‘Fertilization Failure’.
Oocyte Activation is the specialized lab procedure that helps formation of ‘Calcium waves’ in the Oocyte when Sperm is injected by ICSI /IMSI.
Patients facing this problem go on to have normal growing embryos and good pregnancy rates post embryo transfer.
Who Needs It?
- Patients with previous Failed Fertilization in IVF or ICSI
- Patients with embryo growth arrest
- Patients with lower embryo quality
- Patients with moderate to severe male infertility
- Patients with male partner with high DNA Fragmentation Index
Below patients are at Higher Risk of facing this problem
- Patients with previous IUI failures
- Patients with unexplained infertility
Why Akruti ?
For each case, Our Genetic Counsellor may suggest Oocyte Activation dependent on the Couple’s previous Fertility and Treatment History .
Akruti Fertility Centre has experienced embryologists who have handled numerous such cases over the years. And our laboratory always has the specialized protocol and culture media on hand to evaluate and identify the problem and solve it proactively.