Q) What is Infertility?
A) Infertility Definition – Doctors define infertility as not being able to get pregnant after having a regular intercourse for at least one year without using any kind of birth control (Contraception). Women who get pregnant but have frequent miscarriages are also categorized as infertile.
Q) Is Infertility just a woman’s problem?
A) No, infertility is not always a woman’s problem. In about 35% of cases, infertility is due to the woman (female factors). In another 35% of cases, infertility is due to the man (male factors). Rest of the cases are caused by a mixture of male & female factors or by unknown factors.
Q) What are the causes of Infertility in woman?
A) There are various problems which can be found only after infertility diagnosis but Problems with ovulation account for most cases of infertility in women. Without ovulation, there are no eggs to be fertilized. Some signs that a woman is not ovulating normally include irregular or absent menstrual periods.
Less common causes of fertility problems in women include:
- Blocked fallopian tubes due to pelvic inflammatory disease
- Surgery for an ectopic pregnancy
- Physical problems with the uterus
- Uterine fibroids
- PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome) / PCOD (Polycystic Ovary disease)
Q) Which are the factors that can lead to Infertility (Male or Female) ?
A) There are many things that can affect some of them are mentioned below:
- Malnutrition (Poor diet )
- Stress (Work or Emotional)
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Obesity (Being overweight) or underweight
- Diabetes & hypertension
- Alcohol Consumption
- Excessive caffeine or drugs intake
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Health problems that cause hormonal changes
- Prolonged Bike riding
- Radiation treatment & chemotherapy for cancer
Q) How will doctors find out if a woman and her partner have fertility problems?
A) Akruti does a complete fertility evaluation to find the root cause of infertility. This process usually begins with physical examination, health & sexual histories.
Finding the cause of infertility is often little time consuming, complex, and emotional process. It can take time for you and your doctor to complete all the needed exams and tests. So don’t be alarmed if the problem is not found right away.
For a man, doctors usually begin by testing his semen. Sometimes doctors also suggest testing the level of a man’s hormones.
For a woman, the first step in testing is to find out if she is ovulating each month.
Q) What are the signs & symptoms of Infertility?
A) The main symptom of infertility is the inability to get pregnant.
In some cases, an infertile couple may have signs of hormonal problems such as the following:
- Abnormal or painful menstrual periods, hair growth on face, etc. in the infertile woman
- Changes in hair growth, low sperm count or sexual problem, etc. in the infertile man.
In case you have any of the above mentioned symptoms, kindly consult Expert Doctors at AKRUTI.
Q) When should the couple have intercourse if they are planning to conceive?
A) At AKRUTI we believe the Timing of the intercourse is important for couples who are trying to conceive.
The first day of the menses is called Day 1. In a 28-days cycle, at around 13th-14th days of the cycle, an egg is released from one of the ovaries (ovulation). This egg goes through the Fallopian tube towards the uterus. If an intercourse takes place around this time, the sperms enter through the vagina & meet the egg in the Fallopian tube (fertilization). If the fertilized egg gets attached to the inside of the uterus (implantation), pregnancy is said to have occurred. Infertility can result if there are problems that interfere with any of these steps.
AKRUTI suggests that the Female is more likely to conceive if the couple has intercourse 3-4 days before & after the days of ovulation.
This is called as fertile period (~ 11th to 18th days of the cycle).
Q) Can I know how fertile I am?
A) Yes AKRUTI has a special sperm health test for Man to know his sperm quality & for Women an Ovulation study is done by the expert doctors at AKRUTI to know her fertility which also helps the couple to get pregnant naturally.
Q) What are the dos & don’ts after intercourse if a couple is trying to conceive?
A) AKRUTI suggests after having intercourse, some of the semen (the thick white fluid containing sperms that a male ejaculates) flows out of the vagina. After an intercourse, the female partner should do the following:
- Avoid any vigorous movement. Standing up immediately can cause the semen to leak out.
- Wait for some time before getting up & moving around.
- Put a pillow under the pelvis (Buttocks) to help tilt the body so the sperms can travel upwards easily.
- Lie down on the back with time to retain the semen in the vagina.
- Avoid douching (introducing a stream of water into the vagina). It can wash out the sperms that have just entered the uterus.
- Sometimes when a couple is trying to conceive the stress may affect the quality of sex life.
- AKRUTI advises to Try & make sex enjoyable to increase the chance of pregnancy.
- AKRUTI advises taking vitamins & folic acid tablets prescribed by the doctor are very important if the couple is trying to conceive.
Q) How can emotional stress be managed during infertility treatment?
A) Managing Stress during infertility treatment is joint effort where both need to take initiative to help,
- AKRUTI advises Do not suppress your feeling. Talking with your partner, friends & family will help you feel better.
- Ask expert doctor at AKRUTI about the different treatment options for infertility.
- Don’t let infertility take over your life: Try to fill your life & your relationship with things other than talking only about infertility.
- Keep sex fun: Try to keep things loving & exciting rather than treating it like a duty.
- Take a Vacation
- Watch Romantic Movies together
- Spend quality time together by Lighting candles & playing fun music.
- The basic idea is to do whatever makes you & your partner feel good.
- Seek counseling from the AKRUTI doctor or a professional cousellor to cope with the emotional stress of infertility as well as before during treatment.
For more information, kindly consult Expert doctors at AKRUTI Fertility Centre.