DNA Fragmentation Test
In India About 40 to 50% cases of infertility can be associated with male factor, thus simple semen test that measures count, concentration, motility & morphology is not sufficient as they do not provide any information about genetics of sperm (DNA fragmentation). DNA fragmentation is higher means more damaged sperm, a genetically damaged sperm can effect embryo development & may result in;
- Implantation failure (failed IVF cycle)
- Recurrent Miscarriage
- Abnormalities in the new born child
- Increased chances of childhood cancer.
What causes DNA Fragmentation?
- A major factor for Sperm DNA damage is oxidative stress due to excessive production of reactive oxygen species.
- Defects in sperm chromatin packaging & DNA repair mechanisms
- Abnormalities in the regulation of programmed cell death (abortive apoptosis) which is vital for regulating sperm production
- Sperm DNA fragmentation is also associated with a variety of exogenous factors listed below
- High fever
- Elevated testicular temperature
- Advanced age
- Poor diet
- Illegal drug use
- At Akruti we recommend DNA fragmentation to all patients as it is one of the most important test which can reduce the chances of IVF failure.
- Unexplained infertility
- Improper or Stopped embryo development
- Poor Blastocyst development
- Multiple failed IVF/ICSI treatment
- Recurrent miscarriage in partner
- Higher age
- Poor semen parameters exposure to harmful substances
- Some causes of DNA fragmentation cannot be treated,
- Damage caused by oxidative stress may be reduced with a change in lifestyle and a diet
- DNA damage can be reduced with certain specific medicines in some cases these medicines should be taken under close supervision & prescription from expert fertility doctors.
- Treatment of infection with antibiotics may also be beneficial in reducing sperm DNA damage
- Varicocoele repair may improve sperm DNA integrity. (A varicocele is an abnormal enlargement of the pampiniform venous plexus in the scrotum. This plexus of veins drains blood from the testicles. The testicular blood vessels originate in the abdomen and course down through the inguinal canal as part of the spermatic cord on their way to the testis)
- Reports suggest that DNA damage occurs at the post-testicular level, so that testicular sperm may have a healthier DNA integrity than ejaculated sperm thus surgical sperm extraction will help.
- State of art Biosafety cabinet with double HEPA filter system for specialist testing & processing for enhanced safety & zero contamination.
- Experianced & Trained andrologist (performing male fertility heath test)
- Inhouse specialised andrology diagnostic laboratory.
Sperm Processing –
The sample of healthy sperms of a husband is obtained & this Husband sperm sample goes through a special wash & processing which removes dead & defective sperms along with other unwanted substances.
Basic Definitions for Semen (Sperm) Quality :
1) Azoospermia – Absence of sperm (Zero Sperm) in the ejaculated semen sample.
2) Oligospermia – the Very low presence of Sperm in an ejaculated semen sample.
3) Aspermia – Absence of Semen or retrograde Ejaculation.
4) NecroZoospermia – Very low Healthy sperm & high presence of dead/defective sperms.
5) Teratozoospermia – a Low percentage of Morphologically Normal Sperm.